Grosse Pointe Old Devils
Grosse Pointe Old Devils (GPOD) was founded in 1974 by John Garr and Pat Wright as a Hockey Club. Over the years the Old Devils have expanded their aim to form a nonprofit organization that provides critical support to community programs that focus on academic growth, athletic development and life skills.
In October 2021, East Side Youth Sports and the Grosse Pointe Old Devils came together in a merger. This combination created an organization even better able to serve our community.
This union will help strengthen our presence, and allow us to provide additional services to the children on the east side of Detroit. The mission of ESYSF has always been to grow youth sports through grants, scholarships and sports programs, in order to bridge the gap between Detroit and surrounding communities, by removing social, economic and racial barriers. By joining forces with the Grosse Pointe Old Devils, our work can now become more diverse. In aligning our missions, we will now be in a position to offer literacy programs in conjunction with the Center for Success, also located in the city of Detroit.
We are excited to come together to form a bigger and better organization that will provide children with sports and literacy programs that will continue to promote good citizenship, sportsmanship, academic growth, life skills and physical welfare through organized competition.
3 programs funded yearly
17 years of Hockey Night in Detroit fundraisers
45 years of investing in youth
700 kids served $600,000 plus raised
East Side Bulldogs Hockey Club
* $20,000 Hockey scholarships awarded to kids in need each year
* 60+ Bags handed out to new players
Center For Success
* Increased number of locations from 1 to 6 in 2018 that now provide literacy programs from Center for Success, with 3 additional sites for summer programs
* 350 Students served
* 65 Virtural sites serving 900 children
* 157 Comitted Mentors
* 100 Students part of the Summer program
YMCA's Detroit Swims
* 7 out of 10 children in Detroit cannot swim. GPOD has provided necessary funding for 100 children to participate in the Detroit Swims program each year
* 7000 children have learned to swim and be safe around water since 2010